Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Encounter with the Former President Benjamin Mkapa



The former President of Tanzania, Benjamin Mkapa was laid to rest today. I met the former President at his Residence in Masaki in December 2019. I heard so many things about him, read countless articles. I wanted to speak to him to understand his ideas, journey, and place in history. He did not disappoint me.

The former President welcomed me to his home with "Karibu Professor" to which I replied “Asante” and gave him his "Shikamoo." As we sat down to talk, it did not take long to realize that he had taken the time to look me up and study my work. Despite his advanced age (he was 81 years old), Mzee Mkapa was attentive, his memory was sharp, he looked me directly in eyes with his sharp piercing eyes. He was constantly looking at me, assessing my every move, body language. The Americans diplomats presented their assessment of the newly appointed Tanzania Foreign Minister, Benjamin Mkapa in 1977 as someone who was a "shrewd judge of human personalities." I wondered at the time if those deep piercing eyes were assessing me, judging my personality? I may never know!

I picked up his book My Life, My Purpose: A Tanzania President Remembers, a couple of days before meeting the former President. Dar es Salaam is a busy city; it was difficult to find time to read the book. I managed to read it in record time. I was not going to get caught flat-footed. I was determined to learn as much as I can about him from his book. My discussion with this serious, no nonsense, former President was a meaningful one. I had a lot of questions. I wanted to learn about him, his history and debate him on various issues. He did not rush to answer any question I asked him. I got to see a diplomat, an intellectual, at work. Every word he said was carefully thought out. He was well-read, articulate, and thoughtful. He had depth! I learned about his childhood, experience with racism in Atlanta and Alabama in the late 1950s, and his early experience in Foreign Affairs. He told me that he was a low level employee in 1963 when his job consistent of, among other things, taking notes when Mwalimu spoke to foreign dignitaries.  He had already earned his Masters from Columbia University when he worked as a “note taker” for Foreign Affairs. The former President was an ardent Pan Africanist. His work as a Foreign Minister helped advance the liberation struggle in Africa in the late 1970s and 80s. He told me that Tanzania sacrificed to liberate southern Africa because they were liberating their "Brothers and Sisters,” adding that "Africa is one." Our conversation finally turned to African development. I wanted to know why Africa is where it is at this point in time. His insight into African development challenges was brilliant. Here was a person who spent years thinking about this very important question. I shared my thoughts about the state of African development. He paused for what felt like eternity and then he told me that he agreed; it was a good end to a great discussion.

There is nothing like having a great conversation with a knowledgeable person. Time flies in those moments. We ended our discussion and I thanked him. I told him that this was just the beginning of our discussion and that I would stop by his place to pick up where we left off the next time I was in Dar. He looked at me, smiled, and said "yes Professor." Little did I know then that there was not going to be a second conversation. I had one more request for him before leaving: I was not going to leave his house without him signing my book. I opened that book again today with a heavy heart.  I was sad.  Then it occurred to me that that I was holding a treasure, not so much for his signature, but the wealth of information that is contained in the book.  Mkapa the intellectual had thought this through.  He made sure that we knew what he wants to be remembered for.  It is all in his book!

Assessing the legacy of a leader can be tricky. Historians like to let time pass before they can begin to dig in and try to understand a person, events, an era. There is no leader who did not have their shortfalls. The former President Mkapa was not perfect in any sense of the word. His work, like the work of many other leaders, has it highs and lows. Time will tell. You really don’t know what you have until it is gone. There is little doubt that Mkapa the journalist, the diplomat, helped advance African liberation. Mkapa the President helped set Tanzania in the path to prosperity. I am convinced that history will be kind to Benjamin William Mkapa. Safe journey Comrade!

© Azaria Mbughuni
July 29, 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment